- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 1/4 cups dry)
- 1 T fennel seeds
- 1 T coriander seeds
- 1 bunch kale, about 10 oz
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 large apple, cut to bite sized pieces
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked or 1 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- Prepare the quinoa and chickpeas if cooking from dry. Cool to room temperature and set aside.
- Make the vinaigrette: whisk lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup, miso paste, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Once mixed together, drizzle in the olive oil while whisking. Set aside.
- Toast fennel and coriander seeds in a small pan. Stir occasionally for 30 – 60 seconds, or until fragrant. Remove from heat and grind with mortar pestle or a spice grinder.
- Rinse and dry kale leaves and remove the ribs and stems. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place in a large bowl with the olive oil and salt. Rub the kale with the salt and oil to tenderize.
- Add in the prepared quinoa, parsley, apple, scallions, chickpeas, lemon zest, ground spices, and prepared vinaigrette. Gently toss to mix.