- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 t cream of tartar
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar – to make finer, place in a blender for 30 seconds for smoother meringues
- 1/8 t salt
- Optionally 1/2 chocolate, melted
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Add in the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl.
- With the whisk attachment or a hand mixer, whisk on medium speed until slightly foamy.
- Add in cream of tartar and vanilla extract.
- Continue whisking until soft, foamy peaks form.
- Increase mizer speed to high and dust in the sugar.
- Whip until thick, glossy peaks form. This may take several minutes.
- Transfer half of the mixture into a piping bag with a star or circular tip.
- Pipe meringue rounds about 1 1/2 inches wide and about 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake at 225 f for 60 minutes, rotating trays in the middle. Then, turn off the oven with the door closed and leave to dry for 1 – 2 hours.
- Remove from oven.
- Optionally, dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate for a tasty chocolate meringue.