- 16 oz block tofu, preferably extra firm or firm
- 3/4 cup corn or potato starch
- 1 – 2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup high-heat oil
- Sauce of choice
- Prepare the tofu. Cut into sticks about 1 inch thick. Pat dry with a towel to remove moisture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the corn/potato starch and garlic powder.
- Coat individual tofu sticks in a thick layer of the starch mixture.
- Heat enough high-heat oil to have 1/2 inch layer in the bottom of a frying pan.
- Place 4 – 5 tofu sticks in the hot oil. If the oil is hot enough, they will begin to bubble and sizzle.
- Continually turn the sticks until lightly brown and puffy. Once done, scoop out and place on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Repeat with all tofu sticks.
- Remove oil from pan. You can strain this and keep it in the fridge to use to fry other dishes.
- Prepare sauce of choice. Some good options are asian style sauces, peanut sauces, spicy/hot sauce, etc.
- Place tofu sticks back into a clean frying pan. Add sauce and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce is fully soaked up and the tofu is crispy.