- 3/4 cup + 2T softened butter, coconut oil, or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, optionally gluten-free
- 4 medium-large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, optionally gluten-free
- 2/3 cup (about 5 – 7 lemons) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 – 2 lemons
- 2 9×9 Pyrex baking dishes
- Parchment paper
- Medium-sized bowls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
- Line the baking dishes with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and the butter or coconut oil. It should come together into a flaky dough.
- Equally divide the crust into two separate pans. Press down until flat and distributed.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until firm and slightly golden.
- While the crusts are baking, make the filling.
- Whisk together the 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour.
- Crack the eggs into the dry ingredients. Whisk until combined.
- Add in the lemon juice and zest.
- Evenly pour over baked crusts.
- Bake for additional 20 – 25 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Allow bars to cool for at least 2 hours, then cut into squares.