- 6 oz baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup + 2 – 3 T white sugar
- 3 T maple syrup
- 1/3 cup water/rum/coffee
- 7 1/4 oz vanila wafers
- 1 cup walnuts/pecans/shredded coconut
- Double boiler or pot with heat safe bowl
- Food processor or plastic bag w/ rolling pin or heavy pan
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or pot with a heat safe bowl.
- Once melted, stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Continue to stir over double boiler until sugar is melted and combined. The chocolate may look seized at this point, but that is not a problem.
- Stir in water/rum and maple syrup into chocolate mixture. Cook down for 1 – 2 minutes.
- In a food processor or plastic bag, crush up vanilla wafers. If using a plastic bag, place in bag and seal tightly and hit with a heavy pan or rolling pin until crushed. If using a food processor, pulse in intervals of 5 sec until turned into crumbs.
- If using nuts, crush/grind into small pieces. Measure out 1 cup. If using shredded coconut, just measure out 1 cup.
- Mix together nuts/coconut and crushed vanilla wafers.
- Stir together chocolate mixture into the dry crumbs. If the mixture is too wet, add 2 – 3 T more of crushed vanilla wafers.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in extra sugar.
- Store in airtight container with parchment paper separating layers for 1 – 2 weeks before serving.