- 1 medium-sized onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 – 3 T olive oil
- 2 cups other diced veggies of choice – any yummy veggie works like zucchini, summer/winter squash, sweet potato, parsnips, more carrots or peppers
- 4-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t salt, divided
- 3 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 2 t coriander
- 1/4 t chipotle powder (or sub 1 t smoked paprika)
- 2 t dried oregano
- 3 1/2 cups (2 cans) diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 4 1/2 cups (3 cans) assorted beans of choice
- 1/4 cup water
- Optional 2 – 3 t soy sauce, GF liquid aminos, or miso paste
- Large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot
- Dice onion, carrots, and celery into desired size.
- Place in large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan with olive oil. Cook over medium heat.
- Chop the rest of your veggies of choice. Add in veggies and chopped garlic to pot. Add in 1/2 t salt and cook for about 15 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- While veggies are cooking, gather your spices, rinse and drain your beans, and if using fresh tomatoes, dice and save the juices.
- Once veggies are tender, add in all spices – chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and chipotle powder/paprika.
- Toast spices with veggies for 1 – 2 minutes to bring out flavors.
- Add in tomatoes (with juices), water, beans, and remaining 1/2 t salt.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with optional toppings.