This recipe makes about 2 thick or 4 thin pizza crusts.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water – hottest tap water settings works great for me
- 1 packet or 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 T sugar
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour (or white flour if necessary but the dough will not be as good)
- 2 T oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Toppings and sauces of choice
- Pizza cooking method and device
- Mix together water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- In a bowl, add flour, salt, and oil.
- After 10 minutes, stir yeast mixture well.
- Add yeast mixture into dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Knead for 5 – 10 minutes to activate the gluten.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 – 3 hours, or until doubled in size. If it is cold in your house, you can turn on the oven for 30 seconds to get slightly warm and then turn it off and place dough in there for proofing time.
- After dough has risen, preheat oven to 400 f and divide dough in half if you want thick crust or four if you want thin crusts.
- Roll out into circles of desired size.
- Place desired toppings and sauces.
- Bake until crust is crisp and toppings warm, about 15 – 25 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your pizza.