- 2 1/2 cups veggie broth or bouillon broth
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 – 3 T oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 – 6 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/3 cup white rice or basmati rice soaked for 20 – 30 minutes prior
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup cashews
- Optional 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 cup pyrex measuring cup
- Large sauce pan or pot
- Mix together veggie broth and saffron. Set aside until needed.
- Heat oil, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan or pot for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon stick, cardamoms and, and bay leaf. Let cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Rinse rice until the water going through is clear. Add to the pan, and cook, stirring, for 2 – 4 more minutes.
- Pour in veggie broth and bring to a boil.
- Give it a stir and lower the heat.
- Cook, covered, until rice is tender and no liquid is apparent, about 10 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small frypan or wok, heat 1 – 2 t oil.
- Brown cashews until toasty and slightly browned.
- Mix in cashews and optional golden raisins with cooked rice.
- Serve with optional naan bread.