- 2 1/4 cup flour – optionally 1-1 gluten free substitute
- 1 T cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 t baking soda
- 3/4 t salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, margarine, or oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Optional chopped pecans, walnuts, or other nuts.
- Optional sea salt
350 f for 10 – 15 min
- 2 – 3 baking sheets
- Parchment paper (slipmats are not great for this)
- Stand or hand electric beater
- Preheat oven to 350 f and line 2 – 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch or arrowroot, and baking soda.
- Using the stand or hand mixer, beat the butter or substitute, both sugars, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. It will be very crumbly and dry.
- Slowly add in the water until the dough has come together and can be rolled into cookies, but not too wet.
- Carefully fold in the chocolate chips and nuts if adding.
- Scoop about 1 T of dough onto prepared baking sheets. Press down slightly and add sea salt if using.
- Bake for 10 – 25 minutes at 350 f.
- You can freeze the baked cookies to eat later or freeze the raw dough to bake later if there are not many cookie eaters in your house.