- 2 cups masa harina flour
- 1 T oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Large frying pan
- Rolling pin or tortilla press
- Optional scale
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the masa harina flour, salt, and oil.
- Warm up about 1 – 1 1/2 cups water in the microwave or on the stove until it is just warm but not too hot to touch.
- Slowly add in the water while mixing until it becomes a dough ball.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes to incorporate.
- Cover and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Break off a piece of dough and either roll it out in between two pieces of parchment paper or use your tortilla press. Roll it out to the thickness of less than a penny.
- Depending on how much you broke off, add more or take some off of the tortilla that you pressed to make it your desirable size.
- Once you have the size that you want for one tortilla, weigh the one tortilla.
- Separate the rest of the dough into balls the same weight as your first.
- Roll or press all of the remaining tortillas.
- Cover with a towel so not to dry out.
- Heat up a cast iron or nonstick pan over high heat.
- Add a little oil to the pan and add your first tortilla from the stack.
- Cook on one side until there are large bubbles in the tortilla and is slightly browned.
- Flip over and repeat the process until browned.
- Place on a plate covered with a towel. Cover it with another towel.
- Repeat the cooking process until all are cooked.