- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 packet or 2 1/4 t active dry yeast
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 – 2 T sugar
- 2 T oil
- Toppings of choice
- Large pot
- Slotted or mesh spoon
- Mixing bowl
- Bread pan or baking vessel
- Mix together 1/2 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes until yeast starts to bubble. If the yeast does not smell and start to bubble, your yeast has died and you need new yeast. Your bread will not work.
- In a different bowl, mix together flour, oil, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture
- Pour yeast mixture into flour well. Stir until blended.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup water slowly until the dough becomes a workable consistency.
- Knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Trying to add in as much of the remaining 1/2 cup of flour to create a stiff but fluffy dough.
- Set in a warm place to rise. About 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm your house is. If your house is really cold, you can warm up the oven for 30 seconds. Then turn it off and put the dough in there to rise.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces
- Form each piece into a ball and create a hole in the middle to form a bagel shape.
- In a large pot, boil water that is filled 3/4 of the way up the pot.
- Using a slotted spoon, place one of the bagels in the water.
- Let cook for 1 – 2 minutes on each side. The longer it cooks, the more fluffy. The shorter it cooks, it will be denser.
- Repeat process with the other 7 bagels.
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice.
- Bake at 425 f for 20 – 25 minutes.