- 1 cup (240 ml) milk – can be dairy-free
- 1/3 cup (60 g) white sugar or 1/4 cup (70 g) maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80 g) butter or coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup (120 ml) applesauce
- 4 1/3 cup (520 g) all-purpose flour (can be gluten-free but might need xanthan gum)
- 1 package or 2 1/4 t (7 g) active dry yeast
- Medium-sized saucepan or pot
- Large bowl
- Spoon or spatula
- In a medium-sized saucepan or pot, mix together the milk, sweetener, butter or coconut oil, and salt.
- Heat until all is a liquid and butter and sweetener is melted.
- Do not heat for too long or else it will kill the yeast and cook the egg/applesauce.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- Add the warm liquids and egg or applesauce.
- Using a spoon or spatula, mix until combined.
- Try to mix in as much of the remaining 2 1/3 cup (300 g) flour as you can.
- Turn out dough and knead for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Let rise for about 1 – 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch dough down.
- Shape and bake as directed for specific filling.