Broth – use these ingredients for best Pho taste
- 1 onion
- 1 small garlic
- 1 T un-flavorful oil like sesame, corn, or sunflower
- 4 cardamom pods or about 1 t ground cardamom
- 2 star anise or about 1 t anise seeds
- 1 – 2 cloves or about 1 t ground cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 T coriander seed
- 6 cups veggie broth (either Bouillon or ready made broth – all brands have different amounts so it is best to follow amount specified on package)
Veggies – at least one of each category
- Tough veggies – potatoes, veggie sausage*, mushrooms*, etc.
- Medium veggies – carrots, tofu*, broccoli, snap peas, corn, etc.
- Light veggies – kale, bok choi, spinach etc.
- Long noodles or rice
Toppings – anything you want to top your soup
- Onion, scallion, Thai basil, limes, anything works
- Cut the onion and ginger in half. Place both on the sheet pan cut side down.
- Broil for 15 – 20 minutes until all sides of the onion and ginger are charred.
- Set aside to cool while continuing with the broth.
- In a large pot, mix the oil and any whole spices you have meaning only put in the seeds, sticks, and pods, but not the ground spices if you have any.
- Cook for about 3 – 5 minutes until all spices are aromatic.
- Add any ground spices to the oil now.
- Add veggie broth or water plus Bouillon to spice mix.
- Continue to cook meanwhile preparing veggies. The cinnamon stick and ginger should be removed after 10 minutes of cooking in the broth to not have too much cinnamon or ginger.
- By the time the soup is done, it should have been cooking for 30 – 35 minutes with the broth in it.
- Cut, chop, or dice veggies into desired sizes. Some ingredients are *ed which means that you should cook them for a little while on their own before entering the soup. The rest are fine to just cook in the soup.
- Put in any tough veggies that you are using. They will need to cook for about
- After the tough veggies are in for about 10 minutes, add the medium veggies. They will need less time.
- After about 5 minutes, put in the light veggies. You don’t want them to be overcooked so turn off the burner and stop cooking them.
- Cook the noodles however the package explains until al dente.
- Put the noodles in serving dish and pour broth and veggie over.
- Top with topping of choice.