- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 t cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Optional 3 T cocoa powder + 1/2cup chocolate chips
200 degrees for 2 hours then leave in oven for 1 – 2 hours to dry out
- Electric mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment – you can’t do this with just a hand whisk because you will not achieve the correct consistency
- Silicone mat or parchment paper
- Separate your egg whites from the yolks.
- In an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar and sugar slowly while the mixer is running.
- Beat until soft peaks form when the mixer is lifted out of the bowl.
- Slowly add sugar.
- Beat until glossy, stiff peaks form. This will take from 3 – 8 minutes.
- While the mixer is running at a slow speed, add vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
- Turn off mixer and fold in chocolate chips. Be careful not to crush the air bubbles.
- Spoon 1 – 2 T amounts of mixture onto a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet. The cookies do not spread so they can be somewhat close together.
Bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees then leave in oven for 1 – 2 hours to dry out